Monday, February 10, 2014

Cville Design House 2014

I'm thrilled to announce my participation in this year's 
Cville Design House 2014 
presented by 
SHELTER FOR HELP IN EMERGENCY (or SHE for short). 

This is my third year partaking in this worthwhile fundraiser. 
Yours truly will be designing the Child's Bed Room and Bathroom. 
Here's a sneak peek at some before pictures.

I will be keeping the sleigh bed in my design scheme. 
The lovely floral fabric draped on the bed will be made into window treatments. 
The cloud design on the walls and the blue and white carpet will all be replaced 
by a warm sunny palette of pumpkin spice, goldenrod, and thyme. 
(Yes, designers actually use those terms! If I had said orange, yellow and green, 
you wouldn't have had a clear picture of what I meant, and you know that's true!) 
The Palladium window will create a slight challenge for a window treatment. 
There is very little space to mount hardware and I also don't won't to lose 
the view or light as this is the only window in the room. 

Here's another shot of the bedroom. 
Furniture placement could be tricky due to the ceiling pitch. 
But that's what separates the cowgirl designers from the mere designers. 
(I, of course, am the former. No challenge will keep this cowgirl down!) 

This is the only tall wall in the room. 
Originally I had planned to place the bed here and to adorn it with a corona, 
but instead, I'm using the space for an armoire.



This is the bathroom. It is actually more spacious than the picture
shows, despite the funky ceiling angles.

Stay tuned! 
I'll be blogging my design scheme plans and sharing the progress of my room, 
but to see the completed space you'll have to visit 
the Design House from May 3-18.

For more information on the 
Cville Design House and Shelter for Help in Emergecy visit https://www.shelterforhelpinemergency.org/.

In parting, I would like to leave you with some sobering statistics.

In the past year in the Charlottesville area 93 children, along with their mothers,
sought refuge to escape domestic violence in SHE's residential shelter.
They stayed an average of 17 nights.

Nationally, almost half the children who witness domestic violence
intervene in some way. Recent research indicates:

49.9% Yelled for the abuser to stop
43.9% Tried to get away
23.6% Called for help

Designing a dream bedroom for a child is easy. It only takes one designer.
 Raising funds to provide 93 children with a safe haven takes community support.

Please visit Cville Design House 2014 and help 
support this well-needed community service.


Until next time...
Sheilah

No comments:

Post a Comment